Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Culprit...

So, here is a photo of the culprit. The culprit is a simple, cheap pair of pleather cowboy boots. 


That was all it took. Well, that and a wonderfully polished tile floor at school. I got up off my chair, took a side-step with my left leg then took an outside-turning step around my desk with my right foot. That's when the heel of the boot went sliding at an awkward angle away from my body. I caught my self and regained my self-esteem (there wasn't another soul in the room so no one saw me). I had felt the POP but tried very hard to ignore it. The "loose" feel of my knee was nauseating. I knew. Period. 

When I got home, I again took a turning step in the wrong direction and the knee gave out beneath me. I hit the floor and have the bruises to prove it. 

The brief history of my legs and Orthomemphis goes like this...
2001-torn meniscus on left knee trying to wake board (thanks Sue and Carmen) and got it scoped with Dr. Krahn,
2002-blew out my ACL on left knee playing basketball with 7th/8th grade boys (thanks Carmen) and had full ACL reconstruction from my patella tendon with Dr. Krahn, 
2003-ended up with a cyclops lesion (knot of scar tissue) on my left ACL reconstruction that required a scope to remove with Dr. Krahn,
2004-took a break (no pun), 
2005-ran a marathon in Alaska,
2006-ran a marathon in Chicago with a torn meniscus and got it scoped with Dr. Deneka after that, 
2009-had an accessory navicular removed from my right foot by Dr. Davidson (OMG, in a cast for 2.5 months killed me. Worst surgery ever!), 
2011-wore cowboy boots to school on a random Friday and blew out my ACL. 

As I told Rachel (Dr. Deneka's nurse assistant. Yes, we're on a first name basis.) I have a Krahn knee and a Deneka knee. So, I have an MRI scheduled for Monday night on my Deneka knee to be sure it is my ACL. He and I both know it is...but we need visual proof from the inside. The result of that MRI will be discussed on the following Monday. I am positive it will be another ACL reconstruction. Dr. Deneka is rather positive too. I could tell by the apologetic look on his face as he told me what he suspected.

Coincidentally, I got a text message from a long time friend last weekend asking "Are we too old to wear cowboy boots?" Obviously, I am!

1 comment:

  1. Omg! I cant believe that happened right around the time i sent you that text! I knowwhat you mean about thd popping of your knee now!! Been there done that! I hope everything gets better! Keep me posted on what happens!

    ReplyDelete